meet the maker: Nautical Gin
photo by Jennifer Johnson
We’ve recently discovered a new American gin, and needless to say, it was its name that first caught our eye.
Nautical Gin is the first release from Vertical Spirits, a Nashua, NH-based company, whose mission is to create products that embody a “spirit of adventure.”
From its aquamarine-colored bottle to its tagline “inspired by exploration,” Nautical Gin very much embodies the marine theme. It even boasts a custom-designed bottle with a flat back, allowing the bottle to stay stationary inside your boat while exploring—an idea we absolutely love!
But make no mistake, this is a gin with some serious flavor too. Made from more than 10 botanicals including citrus, juniper, pepper, lemongrass, and mint to name a few, its unique, earthly blend hits you the moment you open the bottle. To round out its flavor profile—as well as act as the inspiration for its name—is a subtle hint of sea salt. Nautical Gin is quadruple distilled for extra smoothness and is perfect in your favorite cocktail or in this winter mint, one of our new favorites for the season.
Nautical Gin winter mint
We love the simplicity of this cocktail which is perfect for cozy winter nights by the fire. Be sure to use a good quality ice cream to complement the quality of this gin.
- Mint Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 1/2 ounces Nautical Gin
- 1/2 cup vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 ounce mint simple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Coco Lopez, optional
- Make simple syrup. In a small saucepan, add water, sugar, and mint. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cooled, remove and discard mint (syrup can be made ahead of time and chilled until ready to serve).
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add Nautical Gin, ice cream, mint simple syrup, and Coco Lopez (if using). Shake until ice cream is melted. Strain into a martini glass and serve.
cook’s note: The simple syrup is enough for approximately 12 cocktails.