maple hot toddy
Maple syrup infused with cinnamon acts as the perfect base for this cocktail on a cold winter day. The simple syrup is also great in an old-fashioned, served over pancakes, or vanilla ice cream.
- Maple Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- 2 ounces bourbon, or to taste
- Hot water
- Lemon slices, for garnish, optional
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish, optional
- In a small saucepan, add maple syrup, water, and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 30 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and pour syrup into a glass jar. Set aside.
- To serve, add lemon juice, bourbon, and 2 tablespoons maple simple syrup to a mug. Fill with hot water, stir, and taste. Adjust as desired. Serve with desired garnishes.
cooks’ note: The simple syrup makes enough for approximately 8 servings.