A perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or a great way to use up any leftover sweet potatoes afterwards. The addition of sweetened honey butter served on the side finishes these biscuits off perfectly.
1 medium sweet potato
1 3/4 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons honey
Pinch kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Prick sweet potato with a fork and bake for about 45 minutes, until tender. Peel and mash potato and transfer 3/4 cup to a medium bowl to cool (reserve any extra sweet potato for another use).
3. Using a food processor, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add mashed sweet potato; then buttermilk and pulse until dough just comes together.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead a few times until smooth (dough will be soft). Roll out dough until 1-inch thick and using a floured cutter, cut out 8 rounds. Transfer biscuits to prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
5. In a medium bowl, combine softened butter with honey and salt until well blended. Transfer to a small serving dish and serve with warm biscuits.
Makes 8 biscuits.
stay connected for the latest in recipes, updates + offers