perfect sugar cookies
styling by Catrine Kelty | photo by Keller + Keller
- 2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- Royal Icing
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Food coloring, optional
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, milk, and vanilla.
- In an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg mixture and mix until combined. Slowly add flour, a little at a time until incorporated. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, flatten into a disk, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough until about 1/4-inch thick. Cut out with lightly floured cookie cutters and place cookies on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until just lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Make icing. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites, sugar, and lemon juice until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes (icing should be glossy when ready).
- If adding food coloring, either add a few drops into mixture and stir until combined, or divide icing into separate bowls for multiple colors.
Makes approximately 18 cookies.