Just when you think chocolate truffles can't get any better, try adding in some of your favorite bourbon. Here bourbon pairs beautifully with a hint of briny smoked sea salt, rounding out the flavors in these truffles perfectly. The truffle recipe is extremely versatile and can be made using vanilla extract instead (for a non-alcoholic version), or with another kind of liqueur (Grand Marnier, Bailey's etc.) if desired.
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, divided
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon bourbon
Smoked sea salt, to taste
1. Chop bittersweet chocolate and 2 ounces semisweet chocolate as fine as you can with a sharp knife. Place in a heat-proof mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Heat cream in a small saucepan until it just boils (small bubbles form on outside of pan). Add butter and cook until it melts. Pour over chocolate and using a heat-proof spatula, slowly stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in bourbon until incorporated. Refrigerate mixture for at least 2 hours.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a 1-inch ice cream scoop, form chocolate into truffles. Roll quickly with hands until truffles are smooth. Place truffles on prepared baking sheet and transfer to freezer for about 1 hour (to keep them for longer, cover them well with plastic wrap and when frozen, transfer to a zip-lock bag).
4. Fill a saucepan with a little bit of water. Place a glass bowl on top, making sure water in pan doesn’t touch bottom of bowl. Add remaining 6 ounces semisweet chocolate to bowl and simmer over low heat until chocolate is completely melted.
5. Remove truffles from freezer and working quickly, roll each one in chocolate with a teaspoon, coating well on all sides. Place truffles back on parchment and dust a little bit of sea salt on top of each one. Chill until ready to serve, at least 1 hour.
Makes approximately 8 truffles.
cook's note: If you can't find smoked sea salt, substitute with fleur de sel or kosher salt.
stay connected for the latest in recipes, updates + offers