baked brie with honey + almonds
What’s better than a casserole filled with bubbly cheese ready for dipping? Well, we think not much. And this super, easy appetizer begs to be eaten right away, warm from the oven with lots of toasted bread for dipping. Perfect for parties and Superbowl gatherings.
- 1 large French baguette, sliced on a diagonal into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 13-ounce round Brie cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a large baking sheet, add bread slices, leaving enough room on it for baking dish you're using for brie. Set aside.
- Cut top rind off of brie and discard. Place brie, cut side up, in an oven-safe round baking dish just a bit bigger than round of brie itself (if vessel is too big brie will spread out all over it). Drizzle top of brie with honey and sprinkle with almonds. Place baking dish on same baking sheet as bread and bake for about 5 minutes. Turn bread slices over and return baking sheet back to oven and bake until bread is lightly golden brown. Carefully remove bread slices and transfer to a serving plate. Return baking sheet with brie to oven and continue baking for another 10 minutes, until edges of cheese start to bubble and turn lightly golden brown and cheese is melted. Carefully transfer dish with brie to a serving plate. Serve warm with bread slices for dipping.
cook's note: You can use any size round of brie for this recipe, just be sure that the baking dish you put it in isn't much bigger than the round of brie itself or the cheese will ooze out too much and it will lose most of its shape when it melts (the brie should sit in your dish so that the top of the dish and the brie are even and there is about a 1-inch space all around the brie and the dish).
Reprinted with permission from Union Park Press.