asian salmon cakes with sesame mayo
We love this recipe for a make-ahead meal. Fresh ginger, garlic, and soy sauce are the key players in the flavor of these cakes, served perfectly with a sesame dipping sauce. For anyone who’s not sure they like salmon, these little cakes might just convince them they do. What’s great is that you can make these any size you like: a bit larger to serve in bun or pita, or smaller for an easy, bite-sized appetizer, just serve a dollop of sauce right on top.
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
Juice from 1/2-1 lime
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh salmon
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 scallions (white and light green parts), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Juice from 1/2-1 lime
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 -1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable (or canola) oil
- Make sesame mayo: In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, juice from 1/2 lime, and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust as desired, adding in more lime juice if needed. Chill until ready to serve.
- Remove any bones from salmon; remove and discard skin. Chop salmon into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Add ginger, garlic, scallions, cilantro, soy sauce, sesame oil, juice from 1/2 lime and season with salt and pepper. Mix until just combined. Add egg and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and mix again until mixture holds together (add in more breadcrumbs or lime juice is needed). Season with salt and pepper. Form into 6 cakes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In an oven-safe sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add salmon cakes and sear on both sides until lightly golden brown, 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer pan to oven and bake until salmon cakes are cooked through, 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- Divide cakes among serving plates and serve with sesame mayo.
Makes 6 cakes.