We're giving the classic deviled eggs a coastal twist with the addition of pickled shrimp served on top. Everything can be made ahead of time and simply assembled just before serving, making them a perfect appetizer for Easter entertaining. Be sure to serve the remaining pickled shrimp and onion mixture in a bowl alongside deviled eggs.
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
2 bay leaves, divided
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
Juice from 2 lemons
2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 large eggs
4 teaspoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
Micro greens, for serving
1. Make pickled shrimp. To a medium pot of water, add Old Bay seasoning and 1 bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp and cook until pink, 1-2 minutes. Drain and rinse shrimp under cold water. Discard bay leaf and set aside shrimp to cool.
2. In a measuring cup, add olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, sugar, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir to combine.
3. In a 1 quart mason jar, add shrimp and onion in alternating layers. Pour liquid over shrimp and onions. Cover jar tightly and give mixture a gentle shake to distribute everything in jar. Open jar and gently press shrimp down into liquid if necessary. Cover jar again and chill overnight.
4. Make eggs. Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan and fill with enough cold water to cover eggs by about 1 inch. Bring eggs to a gentle rolling boil; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 12 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Let stand for 5 minutes, then peel off shells.
5. Remove pickled shrimp from refrigerator while you prepare eggs (if olive oil has thickened up, it will come back at room temperature).
6. Cut 1 egg lengthwise and carefully remove yolk. Place yolk in a medium bowl and continue with remaining eggs until all yolks are removed. To bowl of yolks, add mayonnaise and mustard and season with salt and pepper. Add 1-2 teaspoons of pickling liquid from jar of shrimp and whisk until well combined and creamy. Taste for flavor and adjust as necessary. Using a teaspoon, divide mixture among egg cavities until of it is used.
7. Remove 1-2 shrimp from pickling liquid. Remove and discard tails. Chop shrimp into fine pieces. Place a small amount of chopped shrimp in center or each egg. Garnish each with some micro greens and serve.
cook's note: If the cut eggs don't sit level on your serving plate, trim off a small piece of the white on the bottom of the egg (taking care not to cut through into cavity) to help it sit evenly on the plate.
stay connected for the latest in recipes, updates + offers