creamy deviled eggs with pickled shrimp
We're giving the classic deviled eggs a coastal twist with the addition of pickled shrimp served on top. Everything can be made ahead of time and simply assembled just before serving, making them a perfect appetizer for Easter entertaining. Be sure to serve the remaining pickled shrimp and onion mixture in a bowl alongside deviled eggs.
- Pickled Shrimp
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 bay leaves, divided
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Deviled Eggs
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Micro greens, for serving
- Make pickled shrimp. To a medium pot of water, add Old Bay seasoning and 1 bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp and cook until pink, 1-2 minutes. Drain and rinse shrimp under cold water. Discard bay leaf and set aside shrimp to cool.
- In a measuring cup, add olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, sugar, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a 1 quart mason jar, add shrimp and onion in alternating layers. Pour liquid over shrimp and onions. Cover jar tightly and give mixture a gentle shake to distribute everything in jar. Open jar and gently press shrimp down into liquid if necessary. Cover jar again and chill overnight.
- Make eggs. Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan and fill with enough cold water to cover eggs by about 1 inch. Bring eggs to a gentle rolling boil; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 12 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Let stand for 5 minutes, then peel off shells.
- Remove pickled shrimp from refrigerator while you prepare eggs (if olive oil has thickened up, it will come back at room temperature).
- Cut 1 egg lengthwise and carefully remove yolk. Place yolk in a medium bowl and continue with remaining eggs until all yolks are removed. To bowl of yolks, add mayonnaise and mustard and season with salt and pepper. Add 1-2 teaspoons of pickling liquid from jar of shrimp and whisk until well combined and creamy. Taste for flavor and adjust as necessary. Using a teaspoon, divide mixture among egg cavities until of it is used.
- Remove 1-2 shrimp from pickling liquid. Remove and discard tails. Chop shrimp into fine pieces. Place a small amount of chopped shrimp in center or each egg. Garnish each with some micro greens and serve.
cook's note: If the cut eggs don't sit level on your serving plate, trim off a small piece of the white on the bottom of the egg (taking care not to cut through into cavity) to help it sit evenly on the plate.