oyster dip with bacon
A cool, creamy dip that’s a perfect make-ahead appetizer. Be sure to use a good quality smoked bacon for maximum flavor.
- 1 strip Applewood smoked country bacon, diced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash Tabasco, or hot sauce, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oysters
- Crackers, or toasted bread slices, for serving
- Place bacon in a non-stick pan and cook over medium heat until crisp. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Chop up any larger pieces and set aside.
- Place 1 teaspoon bacon fat in a medium bowl. Add cream cheese, garlic, lemon zest and juice, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Stir mixture until well combined. Fold in oysters. Taste for flavor and adjust as desired (if mixture is too thick, add an additional 1 tablespoon lemon juice or liquid from oysters). Transfer to a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Also, be sure to check out our spring ’16 issue.