oyster tartlettes with creamed leeks
Tarts shells are the perfect vehicle for easy-to-serve appetizers and this one is sure to be an instant hit. Creamy leeks, briny oysters, and a slightly crunchy topping all add their own dimension and flavor to this coastal-inspired appetizer.
1 medium leek
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, divided
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra for garnish
12 prepared tart shells (Domaine de Provence brand)
12 shucked oysters
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1. Trim ends off leek and discard. Cut a 3-inch piece off leek at base and cut vertically into 2 pieces. Place leeks in a sieve and rinse under cold water several times to remove dirt. Pat completely dry. Finely mince leeks and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
3. In a small sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add flour and cook for about 30 seconds until completely incorporated. Whisk in wine and cook until incorporated. Add cream and stir until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons parsley and remove from heat.
4. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmigiano-Reggiano and season with salt and pepper.
5. Place tart shells on a baking sheet. Place 1 oyster in bottom of each shell, taking care to add as little liquid from oysters as possible. Top with about 1 teaspoon creamed leeks mixture. Top each with some breadcrumb mixture. Drizzle each with olive oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until tops are lightly golden brown. Transfer to a serving platter and top with a bit of additional Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve immediately.
cook’s note: The amount of leeks and breadcrumb mixture you’ll need for each tartlette depends on how big the oysters are, just fill up each one right to the top, mounding slightly before baking.
stay connected for the latest in recipes, updates + offers