spicy shrimp lettuce wraps
As the summer heat settles in, we love to serve quick-cooking meals that require as little time at the stove as possible. As an alternative, you can also keep the shrimp whole (don’t chop them) and cook them on the grill if you prefer to do the cooking outside. This meal is both light and flavorful, and a nice balance of flavors and texture from the spicy shrimp to creamy avocado to a zesty quick slaw. For extra spice, add in more heat as desired. Double the batch for even larger entertaining. It’s great for sharing as everyone can help themselves, making for a more interactive experience.
- 1 pound large shrimp, washed, peeled, and deveined
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed into a paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 avocados
- Leaves from 2 heads Boston bibb lettuce
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Limes, for serving
- Pat dry shrimp and finely chop. In a bowl, combine garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne and 2 tablespoons canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add shrimp and toss well to coat completely. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Make slaw. In a bowl, combine lime juice and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Add cilantro and cabbage, tossing well to evenly coat. Set aside.
- In a nonstick pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, and stir constantly until shrimp turn opaque and are cooked through, 3-5 minutes. Remove shrimp and place in a serving bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cut avocados in half, remove pits (and discard). Using a tablespoon, scoop out avocados and place upside down on a cutting board and thinly slice.
- Place a couple of avocado slices in center of 2 lettuce leaves. Add some slaw and some shrimp. Garnish with cilantro and lime juice and repeat with remaining lettuce leaves.