strawberry bocconcini salad
During the peak of their season, fresh strawberries add a wonderful natural sweetness to a simple garden salad. Paired with creamy bocconcini (small balls of mozzarella cheese) and a slightly tangy balsamic vinaigrette for contrast, makes this a no-fuss salad full of flavor, that's ready in just minutes.
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh garden greens, washed and dried
- Fresh basil
- 1/2 pint fresh strawberries, washed and hulled (larger ones cut in half or quartered), or to taste
- 4 ounces bocconcini (or fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes), or to taste
- In a bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, mustard, and honey and season with salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil until dressing is emulsified. Taste for flavor and adjust as desired.
- Place greens in a large salad bowl along with some hand-torn fresh basil. Add about 1/4 of dressing and gently toss to combine. Divide greens among serving plates and scatter each with equal amounts of strawberries and bocconcini. Pour desired amount of dressing over top of each serving. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
cook's note: This salad also works really well with feta cheese if you prefer.