photo by Cassandra Birocco
Fresh blueberries add natural sweetness while crunchy nuts and seeds add contrast to this make-ahead summer breakfast, perfect for weekend entertaining. Substitute with whatever fresh fruit is in season and any combination of your favorite nuts and seeds. Top with a dollop of creamy yogurt and serve.
- Cooking spray, for greasing
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups (1 pint) fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (or ground flaxseed)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat bottom and sides of a 8x10 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together milk, egg, vanilla, honey, and cooled, melted butter. Pour into oat mixture and toss to combine.
- Transfer oat mixture to prepared pan and spread out evenly over bottom of pan. Scatter top evenly with blueberries.
- In a medium bowl, combine almonds, chia seeds, flax seeds (or ground flaxseed), sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Scatter evenly over top of blueberries. Bake for 45-55 minutes until edges start to get golden and oat mixture has set. Serve warm or at room temperature.