strawberry tomato rosé mussels
recipe + photo by Ashton Keefe
This recipe comes from chef and cookbook author Ashton Keefe. We love everything about this combination, which is a perfect flavor tribute to summer.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1 cup dry rosé wine
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 lb. mussels, cleaned, scrubbed, and beards removed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Bread, for serving
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until onion is translucent. Add strawberries, and continue to cook, stirring every so often until strawberries have broken down but still retain their shape. Add rosé and simmer, reducing and burning off alcohol until about half of original amount and slightly thickened. Add tomato and season with salt. Give everything another stir.
- Add mussels on top, dot with butter and cover for 7-10 minutes until most of mussels have opened. Stir mussels into sauce. Remove and discard any unopened mussels. Transfer mussels to a large bowl and serve with bread for dipping, and of course a glass of rosé.