blue-ribbon blueberry cake
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, separated
11/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon flour, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan and set aside.
2. In a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer), combine butter, 1 cup sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg yolks and beat until creamy.
3. In a large bowl, combine 11/2 cups flour and baking powder. Alternating between flour mixture and milk, add ingredients to egg mixture, starting and ending with flour. Mix until smooth.
4. In a medium bowl, combine blueberries and remaining 1 tablespoon flour (this prevents blueberries from sinking to bottom of cake). Gently fold into batter.
5. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Pour batter into pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.
cook’s note: As with most baked goods, this cake is best eaten the same day it’s made.
stay connected for the latest in recipes, updates + offers