Growing up in California surrounded by fresh produce and farmers markets, Chef Amalia Scatena was inspired at an early age to cook clean, bright flavors. Following her passion, Chef Scatena traveled to Florence, Italy, where she focused on Mediterranean-style cooking and then graduated with head honors from the Culinary Institute. Today, as executive chef of Cannon Green in Charleston, South Carolina, Chef Amalia Scatena continues to highlight fresh, seasonal ingredients in her cooking, like with this soup. Clean and refreshing, and a perfect way to enjoy the best of summers' bounty.
chilled corn soup
recipe from Chef Amalia Scatena, Cannon Green, Charleston, SC.
12 ears fresh corn
2 yellow onions, peeled, chopped, and divided
4 shallots, peeled, chopped, and divided
12 cloves garlic, roughly chopped and divided
4 ounces unsalted butter
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Grilled corn, for garnish
Fresh lime juice, for garnish
Fresh cilantro, for garnish
Extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
1. Cut corn off each cob and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Put cobs in a large stock pot along with 1 onion, 1 shallot, and 6 cloves garlic. Cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour,
until corn stock is full of flavor. Drain (discarding solids) and set stock aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add remaining onion, shallots, and garlic and cook until softened. Add corn and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Add corn stock and simmer soup for about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth (or carefully transfer mixture in batches to a blender). Chill soup for at least 1 hour.
5. Divide among serving bowls and top with grilled corn, lime juice, cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil and serve.
stay connected for the latest in recipes, updates + offers