pomegranate-braised short ribs
A hearty and satisfying dish that’s perfect served over anything that can sop up all the juices from the short ribs. Mashed potatoes, polenta, or a creamy parsnip purée all work well to balance out the richness of the short ribs.
6 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large onion, thickly sliced
3 celery stalks (plus some leaves), washed and chopped
2 carrots, washed, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
2 tablespoons flour
11/2 cups red wine
4 cups pomegranate juice
1/2-1 cup pomegranate seeds, for garnish, optional
1. Allow short ribs to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 300°F.
3. Pat dry short ribs and season on all sides with salt and pepper.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven (with a tight-fitting lid) over medium-high heat. Brown ribs on all sides, in batches if necessary. Remove pan from heat and transfer short ribs to a large plate. Drain oil from pan and carefully wipe out pan.
5. Place pan back over medium heat and add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook until softened, 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and thyme and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until incorporated, another 1-2 minutes. Slowly add wine to deglaze pan, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Add pomegranate juice and bring to a boil.
6. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, and return short ribs to pan (along with any accumulated juices). Cover pan and transfer to oven. Cook for approximately 3 hours (check every hour and add more liquid, if needed), until meat is tender and falls off bone.
7. Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer short ribs to a large platter. Skim off fat from top of sauce (or transfer to a fat separator, let sit briefly, and then discard fat). Place Dutch oven over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce is reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with a few pomegranate seeds (if using).
stay connected for the latest in recipes, updates + offers