baby kale salad with maple dressing
photo by Jennifer Johnson
One of our favorite drinks, DRINKmaple, also works surprisingly well as a light and flavorful dressing. The hint of maple in the water pairs really well with a bit of lemon juice and olive oil. It’s really versatile and can be used with just about any salad combination you like (think roasted fall vegetables). Here we love it with crunchy seeds, dried fruit, and of course, a healthy bit of feta cheese.
- Maple dressing
- 1/4 cup DRINKmaple
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch baby kale
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 ounces feta cheese. or to taste
- In a mason jar, add ingredients for dressing, cover, and shake until combined.
- Place baby kale in a large serving bowl. Top with seeds and dried fruit, and drizzle with dressing. Toss to combine. Top with feta cheese and serve immediately.
cook’s note: We also love this salad with the addition of roasted beets. Be sure to save the beet greens and use them for another version of this dressing. To make it, add the washed and stemmed beet greens to a food processor along with the same dressing ingredients above, plus 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard. Pulse until combined. It won’t be completely smooth because of the amount of liquid in the dressing but it will still taste great. Use this version right away as the greens will turn brown after a few hours.
Do you have any tips or tricks for your own homemade dressings? Share them with us @thecoastaltable on Instagram