photo by Jennifer Johnson
If you love blueberries as much as we do, then discovering blueberry powder will make you pretty happy as well, especially during the winter season when fresh blueberries are months away from being in season. We love the organic blueberry powder from Bow Hill as one of our new favorite things this season. Made from the skins of the blueberries, blueberry powder is high in fiber, manganese, iron, and vitamin C, and with all those health benefits and great flavor, how can you go wrong?
As we start the new year looking for more and more ways to improve our health, a warm mug of this tea is a great place to start. If you prefer to skip the ginger simple syrup, just add a piece (or two) of crystallized ginger to the bottom of your mug instead.
- Ginger simple syrup
- 1 1-inch piece fresh peeled ginger, cut into 2 pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon blueberry powder
- Juice from 1/4 lemon, or to taste
- Crystallized ginger, optional for serving
- Place ginger, sugar, and water in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place blueberry powder and 1 cup water in another saucepan and heat until water is hot.
- Place 1 tablespoon ginger simple syrup in bottom of serving mug along with lemon juice, and crystallized ginger (if using). Pour hot water mixture through a strainer into mug and stir to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as desired.
cook’s note: Keep extra ginger simple syrup covered in the refrigerator and use as needed. This recipe makes enough for about 8 servings.
Here are 5 other easy ways to use blueberry powder:
- add it to your favorite smoothie.
- stir into Greek yogurt and top it with granola for breakfast.
- stir into room temperature butter for toast.
- stir into pancake batter.
- stir into maple syrup and serve over your pancakes.
To learn more about Bow Hill and all of their blueberry products, visit their website.