apple ginger lemonade
photo by Jennifer Johnson
While it may seem like puréeing the simple syrup is an extra step, it’s really the best way to completely infuse the lemonade with ginger flavor. For an adult version, add vodka to your glass before serving.
- Simple syrup
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (8-10 lemons)
- 4 cups cold water
- Ice, for serving
- 1 green apple, sliced
- Lemon slices, for garnish
- Club soda or prosecco, optional
- In a small saucepan, add sugar, water, and ginger and bring to a gentle boil. Stir until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, transfer mixture to a food processor or blender and purée. Pass through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding any ginger pieces. Transfer to a large pitcher. Whisk in lemon juice, then water, and stir to combine. Add apple slices to pitcher and stir to combine.
- Cover pitcher with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve. Be sure to keep lemonade in a pitcher without ice until you’re ready to serve it (ice will water it down).
- Spoon ice into serving glasses and add a slice of lemon to each glass. Give pitcher of lemonade a good stir and pour over ice. Serve immediately.