The key to this recipe is turning the shallots once, about halfway through cooking, to make sure they brown on both sides (and do not overcook or burn on one side).
- 1 pound shallots
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Finely chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using a sharp paring knife, carefully cut a slit in outer paper of each shallot, trying not to cut through to shallot itself. Peel shallots and set aside.
- In a medium oven-safe pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add shallots and sugar and cook until shallots just start to brown, 5-10 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and then remove from heat.
- Transfer to oven and roast until shallots are tender, 20-25 minutes. Check after 15 minutes and turn shallots, to avoid them getting too browned on one side.
- Transfer shallots and sauce to a serving bowl, top with parsley, and serve warm.