cereal crunch bars
photo by Jennifer Johnson
A play on Rice Krispies Treats made with toasted O’s cereal, this is a favorite with kids. This recipe uses dried cherries for tartness and yogurt chips for a healthier sweet option, but you can substitute with whatever your family likes best. Find yogurt chips online at olivenation.com.
- Cooking spray, for greasing
- 6 cups toasted O’s cereal (such as Cheerios)
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 10 large marshmallows)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup yogurt chips
- Coat bottom and sides of a 9 x 9-inch baking sheet with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on two sides, and coat top of parchment paper with cooking spray as well. Set aside.
- Place cereal in a large bowl.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add brown rice syrup and marshmallows and cook until melted and combined, stirring as it melts. Add vanilla and salt. Carefully pour over cereal and stir to completely coat (mixture will be very sticky and take some time to mix and combine, so be patient).
- Transfer about 1/2 of mixture to prepared pan and top with about 3/4 of dried cherries and yogurt chips. Add remaining cereal, dried cherries, and yogurt chips. Press to completely pack mixture into pan (it’s helpful to coat your hands with cooking spray to prevent sticking).
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (bars need to be cold to cut well). Cut into squares and serve.
Makes approximately 16 bars.