photo by Jennifer Johnson
Buttery, flaky, and highly addictive.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded Kerrygold aged cheddar cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- Using an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter and cheddar cheese until combined. Slowly add flour, salt, and peppers and mix together. Slowly pour in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture begins to form a dough. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and form into a ball. Roll dough into a log about 8 inches in length x 2 inches round and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut log into 3/8 to 1/2-inch-thick slices and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until just lightly browned around edges. Transfer crackers to a wire rack and allow to cool to room temperature (crackers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days).
Makes 16-18 crackers.