frozen beer shandy
photo by Jennifer Johnson
A simple beer granita (a coarse flavored ice) acts as the base for this easy and refreshing summertime drink. Freezing beer takes awhile because of the alcohol content, so it’s best to make the granita the day before you need it.
- 2 12-ounce beers (Corona or similar)
- 32 ounces lemonade, for serving
- Pour beer into a metal (or ceramic) baking pan. Cover dish with plastic wrap and place in freezer for about 2 hours.
- Remove mixture from freezer and use a fork to flake it into ice crystals. Place dish back in freezer. Do this every couple of hours and then freeze overnight. Keep frozen until ready to serve.
- Divide granita into 4 serving glasses, filling each glass. Top with lemonade and serve.
cook’s note: If the beer gets too frozen before you’ve had a chance to shave it (or it refreezes after you’ve shaved it), simply leave it on the counter for a few minutes to let it melt slightly.