ginger pudding cake
With a taste much like fresh gingerbread, this cake hides a deliciously gooey bottom that goes perfectly with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, for greasing
1 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat bottom and sides of an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine molasses and water.
- Using an electric mixer, combine sugar and butter until blended, then add eggs. Mix to combine. Add molasses/water mixture, followed by flour mixture. Mix until you get a creamy batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle top evenly with brown sugar. Slowly pour hot water and butter over topping, making sure that both completely cover top of cake and don’t go through to bottom.
- Bake cake for 45 minutes, until top is cracked and cake is cooked through. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Top with ice cream and serve warm.