grapefruit poppy seed cake
photo by Jennifer Johnson
Whether served for breakfast or in the afternoon alongside a cup of warm tea, this traditional cake hits the spot. As with most baked goods, it’s best enjoyed the same day its made but will keep for up to two days.
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, for greasing
2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Zest from 1 grapefruit
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with butter. Flour inside of pan, shaking out excess. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine grapefruit zest and sugar. Using your fingers, rub together until mixture looks like wet sand.
- Add oil and whisk for a couple of minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs, milk, and grapefruit juice and whisk until mixture is well combined. Slowly add flour mixture, stirring until completely incorporated.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 5-10 minutes in pan, then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
Makes 1 loaf.