green apple fennel slaw
photo by Jennifer Johnson
Crunchy and fresh, this is a great portable side dish for a picnic because the dressing is free of any dairy or mayonnaise and won’t spoil. If you prefer a slightly sweeter dressing, add 1-2 tablespoons honey.
- 1 tablespoon homemade (or Dijon) mustard
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small green cabbage, cored, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 green apple, cored and thinly sliced
- Toasted nuts, optional, for garnish
- Golden raisins, optional, for garnish
- In a mason jar, combine mustard, lemon juice, and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover and shake until combined.
- In a bowl, combine cabbage, fennel, fennel fronds, parsley, and apple and toss to combine. Just before serving, gently toss salad with enough dressing to coat. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with nuts and raisins (if using), and serve.
cook’s note: When making this for a picnic, toss apples slices with some lemon juice, coating completely, and keep them in a separate container until just before serving.