grilled vegetable salad
photo by Jennifer Johnson
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 cup water
1 large zucchini, ends trimmed, and cut into 1/4-1/2-inch rounds
1 bunch scallions, trimmed, white and light green parts
1 medium onion, cut into slices
1 large bunch fresh mixed greens
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Make dressing. In a Mason jar, add balsamic vinegar, mustard, honey, and 4 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with lid and shake until dressing is emulsified. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and place a lid on top of pot, slightly ajar, for a few minutes until water settles down (so it doesn’t overflow). Once it settles, cover completely and simmer for 10-15 minutes until germ ring is visible. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place zucchini, scallions, and onions on a baking sheet. Drizzle vegetables with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss to combine, taking care to keep onion slices intact (use your hands to rub onion slices with oil). Place vegetables on grill and cook until nicely charred on both sides, about 10 minutes (scallions will take only a few minutes). Remove from grill and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, chop grilled onions and scallions.
- Place vegetables in a large bowl. Add quinoa and chickpeas. Top with greens and drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat. Gently toss to combine and top with feta, if using. Season with salt and pepper and serve.