homemade chocolate chipwiches
Rich, chocolaty cookies and your favorite ice cream pair perfectly together in these homemade sandwiches. It’s important not to overbake the cookies so that they remain soft enough to easily bite into as a sandwich. It’s a fun project to make with your kids, and the end result is a delicious portable snack.
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 pints of your favorite flavor ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture until batter is well combined. Using a 11/2-inch ice cream scoop, portion out balls of dough on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Flatten cookies with your fingers (this helps ensure that they bake into thinner cookies). Bake for 10 minutes (do not over-bake). Remove from pan (and if need be, gently flatten a bit more). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When ready to serve, place cookies in freezer to harden slightly, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, remove ice cream and allow to soften slightly. Remove cookies from freezer and turn one cookie over. Place a large scoop of ice cream on bottom of cookie. Place another cookie (top side up) on top of ice cream and gently squeeze sandwich together. If serving same day, freeze sandwiches for 10 minutes. Otherwise, wrap sandwiches in plastic wrap and place in freezer bag for later.
Makes approximately 12 cookies (or 6 sandwiches).