homemade cinnamon graham crackers
photo by Jennifer Johnson
1 cup flour, plus extra for dusting
1 cup whole-wheat flour
4 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
4 tablespoons milk, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, sift together flours, 3 tablespoons sugar, light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, oil, honey, 2 tablespoons milk, and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients, mixing with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured surface and form into a square, about 1/2-inch thick. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (this is for top of crackers).
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out dough until 1/8-inch thick. Cut dough into 3 x 2 rectangles. Transfer to prepared baking sheets. Re-roll dough until all of it is used. Prick each cracker 3 times with a fork.
- Brush top of each cracker with remaining 2 tablespoons of milk. Sprinkle each with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 10-20 minutes, or until crackers are golden brown around edges (start checking around 10 minutes and remove each cracker as it’s done, noting that thinner ones will be done first).
- Transfer crackers to a wire rack to cool completely (crackers will crisp a bit as they cool). Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Makes approximately 30 crackers.