individual asparagus pizzas with egg
It’s best to use nice, thick stalks of asparagus that are also fairly straight so that you can get a few good shavings out of each one.
8 stalks fresh asparagus, trimmed
Flour, for dusting
1 large ball of pizza dough (approximately 16 ounces), cut into quarters
Extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
2 ounces freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra for dusting
4 large eggs
4 thin slices prosciutto, for garnish
- Lay 1 stalk of asparagus flat on a cutting board. Hold tip end of asparagus firmly in place with your hand and, using a vegetable peeler, trim stalk into thin strips (you’ll need to use some pressure so that you can get thicker strips). If stalks are fairly thin, you will only get a few strips out of each one. Cut remaining parts of trimmed asparagus on a diagonal, into 1 to 2-inch pieces. Continue with remaining stalks and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- On a lightly-floured surface, gently stretch each dough piece into a large circle. Brush both sides of each one with olive oil and season one side of each with salt and pepper. Prick each dough liberally with tines of a fork (this helps to prevent them from puffing up too much as they cook). Place each dough onto grill, seasoned side down (or cook 2 at a time) and cook until just charred on bottom, 1-2 minutes.
- Flip each dough and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove each dough, charred side up, and place on a large baking sheet (so you can add toppings). Add equal amounts of mozzarella cheese to each, followed by Parmigiano-Reggiano and shaved asparagus (be sure to leave some open space in middle of each pizza where egg will get cracked). Turn heat down to low and place each pizza back on grill. Continue to cook pizzas until cheese is just melted, 2-3 minutes. Open lid and carefully place cracked egg into center of each pizza. Close lid and continue to cook (either over low heat or turn off heat) until egg whites are just set and yolk is still soft and runny, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer each to a serving plate and top each with prosciutto. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and a dusting of Parmigiano-Reggiano. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
cook’s note: Crack each egg into its own small dish ahead of time, taking care not to break the yolks, so that it’s easy to transfer each egg onto the pizzas.