lamb meatballs with yogurt-feta sauce
photo by Jennifer Johnson
Lamb and feta pair so well together, and this sauce is everything you need to serve with these flavorful meatballs. Fresh cucumber slices add a nice crunchy element for serving, or pile it all into a pita for a delicious sandwich option.
- Lamb meatballs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- Yogurt-feta sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1-2 lemons, divided
- 1/2 English hothouse cucumber, thinly sliced, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium. Add onions and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine egg, breadcrumbs, water, parsley, oregano, cumin, coriander, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. When onions are cool, add to mixture and combine. Add ground lamb and mix until completely combined (do not over-mix).
- Drizzle enough olive oil to just cover bottom of a baking sheet. Season oil with salt and pepper. Form mixture into 2-inch meatballs, placing on prepared baking sheet as you go. Gently toss meatballs in oil to coat on all sides. Bake for about 30 minutes, turning once halfway through, until meatballs are browned and cooked through.
- While meatballs cook, make sauce. In bowl of a food processor, add yogurt, feta cheese, 1/4 cup olive oil, and juice from 1 lemon and season with salt and pepper. Blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust as desired. Add additional olive oil or lemon juice if mixture is too thick.
- Place cucumbers in a bowl and toss with juice from 1/2 lemon and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Place feta sauce on bottom of a serving dish, followed by some cucumber slices. Top with meatballs, drizzle with lemon juice and serve.
Makes approximately 20 meatballs.