maple-bacon seared scallops
reader recipe submitted by: Tracey Albo
4-5 sea scallops
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon flour
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 slices bacon, diced
1-2 tablespoons homemade (or low-sodium) chicken stock
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- Remove any rough, crescent-shaped muscle from outsideof scallops and discard. Pat dry scallops. Season one side with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat.
- Add bacon to pan and cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add scallops to pan, seasoned-side down, and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Baste scallops with bacon fat as they cook. Turn scallops and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add chicken stock to pan to deglaze, scraping up any browned bits on bottom of pan. Cook for another 1 minute. Add maple syrup mixture and cook until sauce starts to lightly bubble. Remove pan from heat andadd butter and sage. Stir in bacon and serve warm.