mashed potato pizza with mozzarella + bacon
photo by Jennifer Johnson
1 dough ball (1/4 of 1 recipe)
2 slices applewood-smoked bacon, diced
Flour, for dusting
1/2 cup prepared mashed potatoes, at room temperature
1/4 ball fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into pieces
Extra virgin olive oil, for serving
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Remove dough from refrigerator at least 1 hour before you use. Dough is much easier to form at room temperature. At same time you’re pulling out dough, place your Baking Steel on top rack in oven. Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick pan, cook bacon until just browned.Set aside.
- After 1 hour, turn oven temperature to broil.
- Dust a pizza peel with flour.
- Dust hands with flour and remove dough from container. Place dough gently over knuckles and allow pizza crust to form, turning slowly, as it stretches down. Do this for a few minutes until it stretches out into a nice, round shape. Place on prepared pizza peel and continue to stretch into a circle if needed.
- Spread an even layer of mashed potatoes onto dough, leaving about 1 inch around outside edge. Scatter top with mozzarella cheese. Carefully transfer pizza onto Baking Steel, close oven, and set a timer for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, turn oven temperature back to 500°F. Open oven, carefully pull out rack with pizza, and scatter bacon over top. Close oven and set a timer for another 2 minutes. Remove pizza, or continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes if needed. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and serve warm.
Makes 1 pizza.