photo by Jennifer Johnson
A simple dish of garden fresh vegetables makes for a great lunch or snack. Make a big batch and have it ready for the week (it’s great both cold or at room temperature). We love to dice the vegetables into nice big chunks so that they retain some of the shape after cooking.
1 medium eggplant, ends trimmed, and diced
Kosher salt, to taste
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large onion, diced
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large sweet pepper (yellow, orange, or red), diced
1 large zucchini (1 pound), ends trimmed, and diced
2 large tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped, plus extra for garnish
Grilled bread, for serving, optional
- Place eggplant cubes in a strainer set over a bowl and toss with 1 teaspoon salt. Allow eggplant to sit while you prepare remaining ingredients.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Pat eggplant dry and add to pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Remove eggplant and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- In same pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook for another 1 minute. Add peppers and zucchini and cook for another 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and continue to cook until all of vegetables are softened, another 10-15 minutes.
- Return eggplant to pan and add basil. Stir to combine. Cook until just heated through. Taste for flavor and adjust as desired. Serve warm or at room temperature with grilled bread (if using).