rhubarb country cake
Cooking spray, for greasing
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger, divided
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup light brown sugar, divided
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
Zest from 1 lemon
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 cups diced rhubarb (from approximately 2 large stalks)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Coat top of paper and all sides of pan with cooking spray. Place pan on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup light brown sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon ginger, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter, remaining 3/4 cup light brown sugar, and sugar. Add eggs and lemon zest and mix until incorporated. Slowly add 1/3 of flour mixture, followed by 1/2 of yogurt. Add another 1/3 of flour mixture, followed by remaining yogurt. Add remaining 1/3 flour mixture and mix until just combined. Remove bowl and fold in rhubarb.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle top of cake evenly with reserved brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool to room temperature before slicing.