roasted squash salad with turmeric squash seeds
photo by Jennifer Johnson
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground turmeric, divided
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup squash seeds, washed and dried (see sidebar)
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small head broccoli, stemmed and cut into florets
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tahini (we love SOOM brand)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Fresh greens, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, and season with salt and pepper. Add seeds and toss to coat. Place seeds on prepared baking sheet and roast for 5-10 minutes, turning once, until lightly golden brown. Remove seeds from oven and set aside to cool completely. Leave oven on.
- Place squash and broccoli on a large baking sheet and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes, turning once. After 30 minutes, add onion and toss to combine. Continue roasting until vegetables are softened, about another 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make dressing. In a mason jar, combine tahini, remaining 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, juice from 1/2 lemon, 1 tablespoon honey, and remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and shake until completely combined. Taste for flavor and add additional lemon juice or honey if desired.
- Place roasted vegetables in a large bowl and add chickpeas. Add a bit of dressing and toss to combine. Add greens and a bit more dressing, gently tossing to combine. Season with salt and pepper, top with turmeric seeds and serve.