1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet, skin-on, bones removed
3 cups kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 bunch fresh dill, washed and dried
1/2 bunch fresh thyme, washed and dried
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons fennel seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
Zest from 3 lemons
- Pat salmon completely dry.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, sugar, herbs, spices, and zest.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of salt mixture on a baking sheet. Press salmon skin-side down into salt mixture on baking sheet. Place remaining 2/3 of salt mixture on top and all around salmon, covering it completely. Wrap baking sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 36-48 hours.
- Remove salmon from refrigerator and remove as much salt mixture as possible with your hands. Rinse salmon under a steady stream of cold water to remove any remaining salt mixture (if necessary), but just enough to remove it. Rinsing the fish too much will remove a lot of its flavor.
- Pat salmon dry and place it on a baking sheet lined with some paper towels. Place back in refrigerator to air-dry for an additional 24 hours.
- After salmon has dried in refrigerator, it is ready to be served.When slicing, use a sharp knife and make very thin, horizontal slices about 1/8-inch thick. Serve with crackers or toast points, pickled vegetables, and crème fraîche.