self-saucing chocolate cake
photo by Jennifer Johnson
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
6 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup boiling water
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 7-inch cast iron skillet with butter and place on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Make cake batter. Melt butter in a small saucepan (or in a microwave). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a measuring cup, combine milk, 1/2 of beaten egg (save extra for another use), vanilla, and cooled butter. Stir into batter until combined. Pour batter into prepared skillet, making sure batter is evenly distributed.
- Make topping. In a small bowl, combine sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
- Using a teaspoon as a guide, slowly pour boiling water over topping (water must completely cover topping).
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, until cake is cooked through and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for about 5 minutes. Top with ice cream and serve.