shaved spring vegetable salad
photo by Jennifer Johnson
This colorful bowl screams spring with fresh asparagus, peas, and radishes. We love the frizzy texture of the frisée here as well. If you want the vinaigrette a bit sweet, add the honey. For some additional protein, top the salad with four chopped hard-boiled eggs before serving.
- 6-8 Yukon gold potatoes (or honey golds)
- 1/2 bunch fresh asparagus
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen) peas
- Dijon vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey, optional
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heads frisée, washed, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6-8 radishes, thinly sliced
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
- Place potatoes in a medium pot and add enough water to cover (you want pot to be wide enough to also hold asparagus). Bring to a boil. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender. Remove potatoes and set aside to cool. Keep pot over medium heat.
- Hold one asparagus stalk in your hands and snap it—where it breaks is where you want to trim off end. Trim ends off all stalks. Set aside.
- Fill a medium bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Add asparagus to pot of boiling water and blanch for 1-2 minutes. Remove with tongs and place in bowl of ice water to cool. Add peas to pot and blanch for another minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to bowl of ice water. Drain asparagus and peas and place on a clean kitchen towel to completely dry.
- Meanwhile, make vinaigrette. In a mason jar, combine mustard, honey (if using), and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add olive oil, cover, and shake until completely combined.
- Transfer asparagus to a cutting board. Using a vegetable peeler, hold thick end of one stalk and shave stalk into thin strips (it’s easiest to do this if stalks are flat on a cutting board). If stalks are fairly thin, you will only get a few strips out of each one. Cut remaining parts of trimmed asparagus on a diagonal, into 1 or 2-inch pieces. Continue with remaining stalks and set aside.
- Place frisée, potatoes, asparagus, peas, and radishes in a large bowl. Toss with enough vinaigrette to coat. Transfer to a serving platter and top with shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve immediately.