spinach salad with lemon, orzo + black olives
Adding the olive oil and lemon juice to the warm orzo helps it absorb the flavor, while also preventing the orzo from sticking together. Be sure to stir it often as it cools to avoid clumps. We love this as-is or served with grilled shrimp or chicken.
- 1 pound orzo
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Juice from 2-3 lemons, plus extra for serving
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese, or to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until al dente, 7-10 minutes. Drain and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and juice from 1 lemon. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, transfer to a large bowl. Add olives and spinach and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and juice from another lemon. Gently toss well to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as desired, adding more lemon juice if needed. Transfer to a serving platter, top with feta cheese and serve.