steamed artichokes with garlic dip
If you’re a novice to artichokes, this casual recipe is the perfect way to familiarize yourself with their preparation. They’re served steamed with a simple dip that pairs well with their umami flavor.
4 large artichokes
3 large cloves garlic, peeled
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place a steamer basket in a heavy-bottomed stockpot. Fill pot with enough water to cover basket. Cover and bring to a gentle boil.
- Prepare artichokes. Using a sharp knife, remove stem of each artichoke, and trim off top 1 inch of leaves. Using kitchen scissors, trim tip off each leaf, removing sharp point. Wash artichokes well in cool water.
- Place artichokes into steamer basket, bottom side down, and add garlic cloves. Cover pot and cook until leaves of artichokes easily pull away using a pair of tongs, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes (reserve garlic).
- In a medium bowl, add steamed garlic and mash well with a fork. Add lemon juice, yogurt, mayonnaise, and mustard and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Taste for flavor and adjust as desired.
- Serve garlic dip alongside whole artichokes. To enjoy: peel each leaf from artichoke; dunk lighter green bottom portion of leaves into dip and scrape tender leaves with your teeth. With a spoon, gently remove fuzzy chokes to reveal hearts. Spread dip on top of artichoke hearts.