Steaming lobster is my favorite way to prepare it at home. Take a deep breath; it’s not as hard as you think!
4 lobsters, 1 to 2 pounds each (leave rubber bands on for cooking)
2 lemons, quartered
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted, for dipping
- Fill a large stockpot about one-quarter full with water. Bring water to a boil over high heat.
- Once water is boiling, add lobsters (in batches if necessary as to not overcrowd pot) and quickly cover pot. It will take about 12 minutes to cook a 1- to 1 1/4-pound lobster, about 13 minutes for a 1 1/2- to 2-pound lobster.
- When lobsters are done, shells will turn bright red. Place lobsters on a serving tray and remove rubber bands.
- To eat, twist off claws and crack them open using a nutcracker. The knuckle meat can be accessed with kitchen shears (or use your hands to do a little digging as well). Pull off tail. With a knife, cut down middle of underside of lobster shell and remove meat.
- Serve with lemon wedges and melted butter.
cook’s note: Save bodies and shells for compost or making stock.