steel cut oats with caramelized peaches
photo by Jennifer Johnson
A breakfast that eats like a sweet dessert, this porridge is perfect for those late summer days when the temperatures drops and you need something warm to start your day.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 peaches, sliced
- Bring water to a boil. Add oats and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook according to package instructions, noting a slightly shorter cooking time will result in more al dente oats; longer time will be creamier. Stir every few minutes until desired doneness. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add maple syrup and cinnamon and cook about 1 minute. Add peaches and cook until softened, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide oats among serving bowls and top each with peaches. Serve warm with additional maple syrup.
cook’s note: If you have a few peaches that have a blemish or aren’t quite perfect enough to eat on their own, this is a great way to use them up.