photo by Jennifer Johnson
Freezing the watermelon before blending makes this drink thicker, similar to an agua fresca. It’s a refreshing summertime sipper and perfect for everyone to enjoy. For an adult version, add vodka or tequila.
- Mint simple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 6 cups seeded and cubed watermelon (about 1/4 of a medium watermelon)
- Juice from 2 lemons or limes
- 1/2-1 cup water
- Make simple syrup. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water, and mint. Simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 10-15 minutes. Remove and discard mint. Refrigerate syrup until ready to use.
- Place watermelon in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Place in freezer until frozen, about 2 hours.
- Place frozen watermelon in a blender along with mint simple syrup and lemon or lime juice. Blend until smooth and thick. Divide among serving glasses, garnish with mint, and serve.