photo by Jennifer Johnson
Made with equal parts regular and wheat flours, this bread has a heartier flavor that balances well with the lightness of the yogurt and oil. Dark chocolate chips are an added indulgence we love.
Cooking spray, for greasing
1 medium zucchini, ends trimmed
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 cup flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, optional
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable (or canola) oil
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and lightly coat with flour, shaking off excess. Set aside.
- Using large holes of a box grater, grate zucchini. Place in a bowl and toss with 1 teaspoon salt. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. One handful at a time, squeeze out as much water as possible from zucchini (do this twice) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, ground flaxseed (if using), baking powder, baking soda, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugars, eggs, oil, and yogurt and mix until combined. Add wet ingredients to bowl of flour and stir until well incorporated.
- Add zucchini (you should have approximately 1 1/2 cups grated) and chocolate chips to bowl and mix to combine.
- Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes (start checking after 45 minutes), until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in loaf pan. Carefully remove and place on a wire rack (it’s important to remove from loaf pan to cool completely otherwise it will “sweat” in pan).
Makes 1 loaf.